Q: An error has occured while installing office Error Code: 1603.??
If everything fails in Office 2010 installation with error 1603, please follow steps
· 1. In the "Start" menu, locate "Command Prompt". Right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Type the following commands, then press "Enter" to execute them one by one. Please note the space before the command and its parameter.
takeown /f C:\Windows
cacls C:\Windows /G administrators:F
Note: I assumed that your operating system installed on C:\.
3. Restart the computer to check the issue.
After this, please try to install the Office program again.
If the problem persists, we can also try to check the permissions of the registry keys:
First, I suggest we check the related Registry permissions by performing the steps below:
1. Click "Start", in the Search box, type regedit" (without quotation marks) and click OK.
Note: In Windows XP, click "Start", and click "Run". Type "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click OK.
2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and choose Permission.
3. Please check if "Administrators" is listed in the "Group and User" name list. If not, please click the "Add" button and type "Administrators" in the open window and click "OK" to add this group.
4. Highlight "Administrators" and check on "Full Control" under "Accept".
5. Click the "Advanced" button and choose the "Owner" tab.
6. Highlight the current user account in the list and mark the check box before "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
7. Click OK to save changes and wait for Windows XP to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition.
Note: if there is the warning information "Error: The Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys", it is normal. Please click "OK".
8. Click OK again to save the changes and exit the Properties window.
Then, please repeat the steps above to check permissions for this key:
Then, try to install the Office program again.